Costa Rica Transportation
We have many different types of transportation available to fit your needs.
In our office we can arrange air and ground transfers to and from the airport.
Services- (Planning a Trip)
After Deciding on Hermosa Beach House as your Hotel, let us help you plan the other details of your unforgetable vacation….Our American owned and English Speaking staff will be glad to answer any questions.
By Plane–Juan Santamaría International Airport (tel. 437-2626 for 24-hr. airport
information) is located near the city of Alajuela, about 20 minutes from downtown
San José. The Alajuela-San José buses run frequently and will bring you to Playa
Hermosa, Jaco right in front of the Soccer field which is 50 meters North of the
Beach House. If you have a lot of luggage you should take a cab or a transfer.
Email or call us if you want to arrange a ride prior to your arrival.
* Car Transfers-(call to arrange for our beach house transfer)
* Large Van Transfer Cost $90.00 between 1.5 to 2 hour Scenic drive.
* Helicopter Transfer 15 minutes from airport to Hermosa Beach House. Fits 6 $1600.00
Please be advised the roads are in less then perfect conditions so traveling at night is
not recommended especially if you rent a car and are unfamilar with the mountainous roads.
There are quite a few car-rental agencies with desks and offices at the airport, although if you’re planning to spend a few days in San José itself, a car is a liability. (If you’re heading off immediately to the beach, though, it’s much easier to pick up your car here than at a downtown office.) Several car-rental agencies already have desks inside the new terminal, right where passengers exit Customs and Immigration; others are still in limbo awaiting completion of an airport remodeling , so be sure to contact them first to confirm that they will have an agent or an office at the airport when you arrive.
By Car–It will cost you between $35 and $90 per day to rent a car in Costa Rica (the higher prices are for 4WD vehicles). Many car-rental agencies have offices at theairport. If not, they will usually either pick you up or deliver the car to any San José
hotel. If you decide to pick up your rental car in downtown San José, be prepared for some very congested streets.
The following companies have desks at Juan Santamaría International Airport, as well
as offices downtown:
- Alamo (tel. 800-462-5266) toll-free within Costa Rica or 242-7733 central reservations)
- Adobe Rent A Car (tel. 442-2422) at the airport or 258-4242 in downtown San José)
- Avis (tel. 800-230-4898) in the U.S. or 293-2222 central reservation number in Costa Rica)
- Budget (tel. 800-527-0700) in the U.S., 441-4444 at the airport, or 223-3284
- Dollar (tel. 443-2950) at the airport or 257-0671
- Hertz (tel. 800-654-3131) in the U.S., 441-0097 at the airport, or 221-1818
- National Car Rental (tel. 800-227-7368) in the U.S., 440-0085 at the airport, or 290-8787
- Payless Rent A Car (tel. 800-582-7432) in the U.S., 443-5286 at the airport, or 257-0026
- Thrifty (tel. 800-847-4389) in the U.S., 442-8585 at the airport, or 257-3434
- Toyota Rent A Car (tel. 441-1411 at the airport or 258-5797 in downtown San José)
In case of any emergency, dial tel. 911 (which should have an English-speaking operator)
Fire – call tel. 118
Ambulance – call tel. 128
* Clínica Bíblica, Avenida 14 between calles Central and 1 (tel. 522-1000), is conveniently located close to downtown and has several English-speaking doctors.
* CIMA (tel. 208-1000), located in Escazú on the Próspero Fernández Highway, which connects San José and the western suburb of Santa Ana, has the most modern facilities in the country.
* Taxes— All hotels charge 16.3% tax. Restaurants charge 13% tax and also add on a
10% service charge, for a total of 23% more on your bill. There is an airport
departure tax of $26.
* Telephones— There are no city or area codes to dial from within Costa Rica; use the
country code, 506, only when dialing a number from outside Costa Rica.
(To call from the U.S., dial the international access code , then 506, and then
the eight digit number.)
* Time Zone— San José is on Central Standard Time same as Chicago and St. Louis,
6 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time. Costa Ria does not practise daylight savings.